Morning Gappers are an important phenomenon in the financial markets. They occur when a stock opens significantly higher or lower than where it closed the previous day. These gaps can be triggered by various factors such as earnings releases, news reports, M&A activity, and other events. As a trader, understanding how to trade these gaps can provide you with a significant edge in the market. In this article, we will explore the Morning Gappers strategy, its advantages and disadvantages, and how to use it to make trading decisions.
What are the Morning Gappers?
Morning Gappers refer to the situation where a stock opens significantly higher or lower than its previous day’s closing price. It happens due to various reasons such as earnings release, news reports, mergers and acquisitions, resignation of a CEO, major disasters, and negative news. For instance, a company releasing upbeat earnings report may result in the stock opening higher, while a company reporting weak earnings can result in a sharp downward morning gap. Traders and investors pay close attention to these gaps as they can provide profitable opportunities for trading or investment strategies
Morning Gappers Strategy
The two main gap trading strategies are Gap and Go and Fill the Gap. Gap and Go involves buying an asset that has just gapped higher or shorting one that has just made a down gap to take advantage of the direction of the gap. On the other hand, Fill the Gap strategy involves attempting to fill the down or up gap. However, traders should be cautious with this concept and apply proper risk management. It can be challenging to know whether a gap will be filled or continue in the original trend. It is important to do thorough research and analysis before entering a trade, and to have a clear exit strategy in place to manage potential losses.
- Look for a stock that has made a significant upward gap in the morning due to positive news, earnings or other events.
- Wait for the stock to pull back and fill the gap partially or completely. This can be a potential buying opportunity.
- If the stock holds the gap fill and starts moving up again, it could be a bullish signal to buy the stock.
- Use technical indicators such as moving averages, trendlines, and support/resistance levels to confirm the uptrend and buy signal.
- Look for a stock that has made a significant downward gap in the morning due to negative news, earnings, or other events.
- Wait for the stock to bounce back and fill the gap partially or completely. This can be a potential selling opportunity.
- If the stock fails to hold the gap fill and starts moving down again, it could be a bearish signal to sell the stock.
- Use technical indicators such as moving averages, trendlines, and support/resistance levels to confirm the downtrend and sell signal.
Morning Gappers Pros & Cons
- Morning gappers can provide opportunities for traders to capitalize on significant price movements in a short amount of time.
- Gaps can also provide valuable information about market sentiment and the underlying fundamentals of a particular stock or asset.
- Gaps can be unpredictable and volatile, which can increase the risk of losses for traders who do not have a solid understanding of the market.
- Gaps can be caused by a variety of factors, including news releases, earnings reports, and other events that can be difficult to predict or anticipate.
- Traders may also experience difficulty in determining whether a gap will be filled or whether it will continue in the original trend, which can make it challenging to develop a profitable trading strategy.
In conclusion, morning gappers are a common occurrence in the financial market that traders can take advantage of. There are various gap trading strategies that traders can use, including the Gap and Go strategy and the Fill the Gap strategy. While gap trading can be profitable, traders should exercise caution and apply proper risk management techniques. As with any trading strategy, morning gappers have their pros and cons, and traders should carefully consider these before implementing them in their trading plans.
Self-confessed Forex Geek spending my days researching and testing everything forex related. I have many years of experience in the forex industry having reviewed thousands of forex robots, brokers, strategies, courses and more. I share my knowledge with you for free to help you learn more about the crazy world of forex trading! Read more about me.