Renko reversal strategy is a trading approach that is widely used in the Forex market. It is a type of technical analysis that uses Renko charts to identify potential reversal points in the market. Renko charts are unique in that they are constructed based on price movement and not on time, which allows traders to filter out market noise and focus on significant price movements. This strategy relies on identifying key support and resistance levels and looking for price action signals to confirm a reversal. The Renko reversal strategy is suitable for traders of all levels and can be used with any currency pair, making it an effective trading approach.
Renko Reversal Strategy
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to use the Renko reversal strategy in Forex:
Set up Renko charts
- First, you need to set up your trading platform to display Renko charts. Renko charts are based on price movement and not time, so each block on the chart represents a specific price movement. You can adjust the block size to your preference, but a common size for Forex trading is 10 pips.
Identify key support and resistance levels
- Identify key support and resistance levels on the Renko chart. These levels are important because they show where the price has previously reversed. You can use various technical analysis tools, such as Fibonacci retracements, trend lines, and moving averages, to identify these levels.
Look for a reversal pattern
- Once you have identified key support and resistance levels, look for a reversal pattern. A reversal pattern can be a double top, double bottom, or head and shoulders pattern. These patterns indicate that the price is likely to reverse and can be used as a signal to enter a trade.
Enter the trade
- Once you have identified a reversal pattern and confirmed the reversal with price action signals, enter the trade.
Here are the buy signal details for the Renko reversal strategy in Forex:
Price breaks a key resistance level on the Renko chart
- Look for a strong bullish breakout above a key resistance level that has previously held the price from moving higher.
Wait for a retracement to the broken resistance level
- Once the price breaks the resistance level, wait for it to retest the level from above as a support level.
Identify a bullish reversal pattern
- Look for a bullish reversal pattern, such as a double bottom or a bullish engulfing candlestick pattern.
Enter the trade
- Enter a long trade at the break of the high of the bullish reversal candlestick pattern.
Here are the sell signal details for the Renko reversal strategy in Forex:
Price breaks a key support level on the Renko chart
- Look for a strong bearish breakout below a key support level that has previously held the price from moving lower.
Wait for a retracement to the broken support level
- Once the price breaks the support level, wait for it to retest the level from below as a resistance level.
Identify a bearish reversal pattern
- Look for a bearish reversal pattern, such as a double top or a bearish engulfing candlestick pattern.
Enter the trade
- Enter a short trade at the break of the low of the bearish reversal candlestick pattern.
Renko Reversal Strategy Pros & Cons
Provides a clear visual representation of price movement
- Renko charts provide a simple and easy-to-read charting format that eliminates market noise and emphasizes significant price movements.
Helps to identify key support and resistance levels
- Renko charts help traders to identify key support and resistance levels based on price movement, which can provide valuable information for entering and exiting trades.
Offers a high degree of accuracy in identifying trend reversals
- The Renko reversal strategy can be very effective in identifying trend reversals and potential trade setups.
Reduces the impact of market noise and false signals.
- Renko charts can help to reduce the impact of market noise and false signals by filtering out smaller price movements and emphasizing larger ones.
Requires a significant amount of historical data to generate accurate charts
- Renko charts require a large amount of historical data to generate accurate charts, which may limit their effectiveness for short-term traders.
Can result in delayed trade entries and exits
- Because Renko charts are based on price movement and not time, they may result in delayed trade entries and exits, which can impact potential trades generation.
May not work well in all market conditions
- Like any trading strategy, the Renko reversal strategy may not work well in all market conditions and may require adjustments to be effective in certain market environments.
In conclusion, the Renko reversal strategy can be a useful approach to trading Forex markets. Renko charts offer a clear and easy-to-read visual representation of price movement, and the strategy can help traders identify key support and resistance levels as well as potential trend reversals. However, like any trading strategy, it also has its limitations to be effective in different market conditions. It is important for traders to carefully back test and evaluate the effectiveness of the Renko reversal strategy, as well as to combine it with proper risk management techniques
Self-confessed Forex Geek spending my days researching and testing everything forex related. I have many years of experience in the forex industry having reviewed thousands of forex robots, brokers, strategies, courses and more. I share my knowledge with you for free to help you learn more about the crazy world of forex trading! Read more about me.