Table of Contents
Commonwealth Securities Limited, abbreviated as CommSec, is an online broker that has been in operation since 1995. The broker is based in Sydney, Australia, and is a subsidiary of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia. They offer online trading in stocks listed on the Australian Stock Exchange and major international stock exchanges through their web and mobile trading platforms. In addition to stocks, the broker also offers trading in stock derivatives, such as equity options, exchange-traded funds (ETFs), stock CFDs, warrants, and fixed-income securities. However, the broker only serves Australian clients.
CommSec Platforms & Tools
The broker provides clients with their proprietary platforms: CommSec WebTrader and CommSec Mobile App. CommSec WebTrader is a web-based platform that runs directly on modern web browsers such as Chrome, Edge, Safari, and Firefox. It has a user-friendly interface and comes with a lot of analytical and trading tools, including advanced real-time charting, stock screeners, trading limits, stock announcements, and more.
CommSec Mobile App helps you to trade on the go, and it is compatible with iOS and Android devices. It has most of the important features in the web version, including customizable charts and conditional orders.
The broker also provides a number of useful tools to help traders make better trading decisions. Some of the tools include the CommSecIRESS Viewpoint, Stock Watchlists, CommSec Executive Series, Market Reports, Morningstar Premium Ratings, and Goldman Sachs Stock Recommendations.
CommSec Research & Education
CommSec has three educational resource pages on their website:
- Learn the Basics: It introduces traders to basic knowledge about trading and investing. There are 3 sections — investing basics, choosing investments, and investment management.
- Insights and Education: Discusses strategies and trading ideas and covers topics like “How to manage margin loan risks.”
- Webinars: There is a big collection of recorded webinars on trading ideas and strategies.
CommSec Trading Accounts
The broker offers a variety of account types, with each coving a specific set of tradable instruments. Here are the account types:
- CommSec Share Trading Account
- CommSec Margin Lending Account
- CommSec Options Account
- CommSec CFD Account
- CommSec International Securities Trading Account
CommSec Account Funding
Their Australian clients have two payment options:
- Linking bank account: The broker recommends that their traders link their bank accounts to their trading accounts so that when they place a buy order, the money will be debited automatically from the linked account.
- Using BPay: It is possible to pay for buy trades via BPay. This has a clearance time of up to 2 business days.
CommSec Customer Service
The broker’s customer support team can be reached via phone, online chat, email, and an online contact form. They are available during Australian market hours to provide technical support and general assistance. You can also reach them on Twitter and YouTube.
CommSec is a wholly owned but non-guaranteed subsidiary of Commonwealth Bank of Australia. They are a member of the Australia Stock Exchange (ASX) and are regulated by the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) — the agency that supervises financial market operators in Australia.
CommSec Review Summary
CommSec is an Australian-based online stockbroker with more than 20 years of experience in online trading services. They provide clients with their proprietary trading platforms, helpful trading tools, and a good collection of educational resources.
Self-confessed Forex Geek spending my days researching and testing everything forex related. I have many years of experience in the forex industry having reviewed thousands of forex robots, brokers, strategies, courses and more. I share my knowledge with you for free to help you learn more about the crazy world of forex trading! Read more about me.